Garden State Parkway Interchange 88/89
Interchange 88 provides a southbound exit and northbound entrance to and from New Jersey Route 70 located at Milepost (MP) 89.3. Interchange 89 provides a southbound exit and northbound entrance to and from Cedar Bridge Avenue (CR 528) located at Milepost 90.2. Former guide signs for the southbound exit at each interchange were ground mounted at the exit ramp diverge, 0.5 -mile, 1-mile and 2-miles from the exit ramp diverge. The close proximity of these successive southbound exits led to a proliferation of guide signs.
The new design enhanced traffic operations and motorist comprehension of the sign messages by consolidating and overhead mounting the exit ramp diverge and advance warning signs.
The following is a description of the Scope of Work:
1) Three (3) new overhead sign structures and guide signs (located at the 1-mile advance, ½-mile advance and at exit ramp diverge) for Interchange 89 southbound approach. All sign structures were designed to accommodate future new full width left and right shoulders. The sign structure located at the exit ramp diverge (MP 90.2) included utility services for power and communication to enable the future installation of video surveillance cameras and a vehicular counting station.
2) Structural analysis of the existing overhead sign structure located approximately 2.5-mile advance of Interchange 89 at MP 92.55 regarding its suitability to support the 2-mile advance guide sign for Interchange 89 southbound approach.
3) New guide rail and appurtenances in the vicinity of the proposed sign structures which included an evaluation of existing guide rail for conformance to current design requirements.
4) Continuous full-depth pavement of auxiliary lane between the existing southbound deceleration lane taper for Interchange 89 and the southbound acceleration lane taper for Interchange 90 (MP 90.75 to MP 91.0).
5) Continuous full-depth pavement auxiliary lane between the existing northbound acceleration lane taper for Interchange 89 and the northbound deceleration taper for Interchange 90 (MP 90.75 to MP 90.85)